No credible threat in Clovis as TikTok school shooting posts circulate nationwide
In a message to parents Thursday afternoon, Clovis Unified school officials said they were aware of “rumored school violence” across the nation circulating on social media but said there were no known credible threats to CUSD campuses.
The social media posts, shared primarily on the platform TikTok, describe violence on school campuses allegedly planned for Friday. Clovis officials said law enforcement has “found no evidence that a credible threat exists to schools.”
“None of our Clovis Unified schools have been referenced to date in these rumors and we will continue to monitor the situation closely in collaboration with our local, state and federal law enforcement partners,” Clovis officials said. “We take every report seriously, and are devoting multiple public safety resources to ensure our schools remain safe.”
School districts around California took similar action Thursday, making parents aware of the issue and noting law enforcement has found no evidence of any credible threats.
“In recent weeks there have been numerous rumors of threats to campuses across the nation, and several of our own schools have been negatively impacted by the fear and anxiety such rumors create,” CUSD officials said. “The consequences of creating or participating in any threats to schools are serious, and often result in long-term school and legal consequences such as arrest, expulsion, placement on no-fly lists and other life-changing outcomes.”
Recently, Central San Joaquin Valley area schools have seen multiple reported or rumored threats to student safety on social media.
Last week, law enforcement responded to social media posts that appeared to threaten students at Clovis East High and Reyburn Intermediate schools. The threats were investigated by the Clovis Police Department and were determined to be not credible.
A month prior, Tulare police investigated a threat made on Snapchat in which the user made threats to students at Tulare Western High School and himself. Tulare police responded by adding additional officers to the schools for added security.
CUSD officials encouraged parents to learn more at the district’s website. Here is the link.
In its message to parents Thursday, Clovis school officials acknowledged the challenge of combating serious internet rumors.
“Thank you for partnering with us to keep our schools safe and free from the anxiety and fear created by rumors (or rumors of rumors) of safety threats,” the district said in the statement.