After playing in the first NFL regular-season game in Mexico since 2005, Raiders quarterback Derek Carr said he’d jump at the chance for a return trip.
The former Fresno State star threw two touchdown passes in the fourth quarter Monday night to help engineer Oakland’s 27-20 comeback victory against the Houston Texans at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.
“I loved it; very honored to be able to play in such a historic place,” said Carr, who completed 21 of 31 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns.
“I think the fans were amazing, especially because they were pretty much all Raider fans.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“I don’t know if there was much football played down here, but they understand the game. They get it, they love it, they’re passionate about it, and I love it. I come back to Mexico in the offseason and spend some time here, so I love it here. So if you ask me to come back and play, I’m down for it.”
The 49ers and Cardinals played the first regular-season game in Mexico City in 2005 while the Raiders played a preseason game against the Cowboys at Estadio Azteca in 2001.
With Monday’s win, Carr has guided the Raiders to nine fourth-quarter comeback victories since entering the league in 2014. He also topped 10,000 career passing yards Monday (10,057), the ninth Raider to hit that mark.
Other Carr notes from Monday:
▪ His three-touchdown game marked the 11th of his career, tying Fresno native Tom Flores for fourth most in team history.
▪ His passer rating of 117.0 marked the 11th time Carr has eclipsed a rating of 100.0.
▪ Carr became the third Raider with 20 or more touchdowns in three consecutive seasons, joining Rich Gannon and Clovis native Daryle Lamonica, who are both tied for first with four consecutive seasons.
Et cetera – Minnesota linebacker Eric Kendricks (Hoover) finished with five tackles, helping the Vikings to a 30-24 victory over the Arizona Cardinals. Kendricks also picked up a tackle for a loss and had a pass deflection.
▪ Philadelphia running back Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) had seven carries for 31 yards in a 26-15 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. Eagles linebacker Mychal Kendricks (Hoover) had three tackles.
▪ Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams (Fresno State) had three receptions for 42 yards in a 42-24 loss to the Washington Redskins. Adams was targeted six times.
▪ Los Angeles Rams safety T.J. McDonald (Edison) finished with three tackles and had a quarterback hit in a 14-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins. Offensive guard Cody Wichmann (Fresno State) made his 16th career start for the Rams.
▪ Cincinnati Bengals safety Derron Smith (Fresno State) finished with two tackles and a pass deflection as the Bengals fell to the Buffalo Bills 16-12.
▪ New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Tyeler Davison (Fresno State) had two tackles and a pass deflection in a 23-20 loss to the Carolina Panthers.
▪ Pittsburgh Steelers safety Robert Golden (Edison) had a special-teams tackle in a 24-9 victory over the Cleveland Browns.
▪ Indianapolis Colts linebacker Chris Carter (Fresno State) had a special-teams tackle in a 24-17 victory over Tennessee. Titans cornerback Curtis Riley (Fresno State) was inactive.
▪ Kansas City cornerback Steven Nelson (College of the Sequoias) had seven tackles, a pass deflection and a fumble recovery, but the Chiefs lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 19-17.
▪ Miami Dolphins signed tackle Bryce Harris (Tulare/Fresno State). He was previously with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Raiders QBs with 10,000 yards
Raiders quarterbacks to have 10,000 passing yards
Source: Pro Football Reference.