Man killed by Tulare County deputies was unarmed, accused of pointing cell phone
The man shot and killed during a welfare check conducted by Tulare County Sheriff’s deputies on Wednesday morning was unarmed, according to the sheriff’s office spokesperson.
In a statement released Wednesday evening, the sheriff’s office said that the man, who they have not identified, refused to exit a Tulare residence where deputies were conducting the welfare check in response to a possible fight.
The release says that the man eventually ran out of the back door and was pointing an object at the deputies, which they believed at the time was a weapon. The man was killed at the scene, and deputies found that he was holding a black cell phone instead of a weapon.
It’s unclear how many deputies were at the scene, how many fired their weapons or how many bullets struck the man. The California Department of Justice is investigating the shooting.
DOJ spokesperson Alexandra Duquet said the agency wouldn’t be releasing any more information Thursday.
It’s unclear if a crime had occurred or if the man lived at the residence, located on the 400 block of Matheny Road.
The sheriff’s office did not provide any information about the identities of the deputies or their experience levels, or confirm whether they had been placed on administrative leave.
The Tulare Police Department is assisting with the investigation.
This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 2:25 PM.