Crime

Man killed by gunfire found unresponsive in Fresno. Police seek witnesses

Detectives are investigating the death of a Fresno man who was gunned down as he was arriving home.

Police said they were canvassing the area near State and Acacia avenues after the death of 33-year-old Kuvar Kumar, who was discovered unresponsive after being shot.

Police arrived to the area about 6:50 p.m. Monday to find Kumar on the ground. He was pronounced dead at the scene southeast of Polk and Shaw avenues.

Detectives believe Kumar was arriving home when he was shot, police said. Investigators continued to look for witnesses on Tuesday.

The slaying marks the 12th intentional killing so far this year, according to police. There were 16 at the same time last year, police said.

Police asked anyone with information on the case to Fresno Police Dpartment, or call Homicide Detective J. Baroni at 559-621-2516 or Detective M. Yee at 559-621-2407.

Anyone calling with information can remain anonymous by contacting Crime Stoppers at 559-498-7867.

Kuvar Kumar, 33, of Fresno was gunned down on Monday, July 22, 2025, near State and Acacia avenues, according to Fresno police.
Kuvar Kumar, 33, of Fresno was gunned down on Monday, July 22, 2025, near State and Acacia avenues, according to Fresno police. FRESNO POLICE DEPARTMENT

This story was originally published July 22, 2025 at 2:07 PM.

Thaddeus Miller
Merced Sun-Star
Reporter Thaddeus Miller has covered cities in the central San Joaquin Valley since 2010, writing about everything from breaking news to government and police accountability. A native of Fresno, he joined The Fresno Bee in 2019 after time in Merced and Los Banos.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER