Update: Suspect found dead after standoff in stabbing of man at Fresno home, police say
UPDATE: The suspect, who allegedly stabbed another man at Weber and Herndon avenues, was identified as 42-year-old Gary Jacob Carlos, who died of self-inflicted injuries.
ORIGINAL STORY: A man was found dead inside a home Monday afternoon after a stabbing took place earlier in the day in Fresno.
Initially, officers responded to a report of a stabbing in the 6700 North Weber Avenue near Marketplace at El Paseo at Herndon Avenue around 6:30 a.m., Fresno Police Lt. Bill Dooley said.
Officers located the victim in his 60s with multiple stab wounds to the upper torso. He was taken to a local hospital and was in stable condition. He has since been released.
In an update provided by Fresno Police Lt. Paul Cervantes, he said the suspect they were looking for is a man in his 40s. The suspect barricaded himself as officers attempted to make contact.
“They determined that this person had a very violent criminal history,” Cervantes said. “(He) was not cooperative with police and therefore they summoned the assistance of the SWAT team.”
The SWAT conducted a call out and deployed a drone to see where the suspect was located inside the home. It was where officers said the drone located the suspect who was dead.
“A lot of unknowns at this point,” Cervantes said.
Homicide detectives are investigating what led up to the death and Cervantes said the suspect “appear to have had some type of injuries up to his upper torso area.”
Whether it’s self-inflicted or occurred during the initial altercation is being investigated, Cervantes said.
Detectives will remain on scene for several more hours.
This story was originally published April 7, 2025 at 9:51 AM.