Crime

He shot his girlfriend, mother of 5, then fled to Mexico. He’ll soon be sentenced

Bernardo Madueno Jr. of Clovis was convicted Wednesday, March 20, 2019 of attempted murder and other domestic violence-related crimes for the May 2015 shooting of the mother of his children in Clovis, the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office said.
Bernardo Madueno Jr. of Clovis was convicted Wednesday, March 20, 2019 of attempted murder and other domestic violence-related crimes for the May 2015 shooting of the mother of his children in Clovis, the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office said. Clovis Police Department

A Clovis man was found guilty Wednesday of attempting to kill his former girlfriend when he shot her at the couple’s Clovis home in 2015.

Bernardo Madueno, 36, was convicted of attempted murder, assault with a semi-automatic weapon, corporal injury to a spouse and to a child, according to a news release from the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office. He could face 35 years to life in prison when he is sentenced May 10.

Madueno shot his girlfriend of 16 years in her right jaw, right shoulder and breast, right jaw and right hip, according to testimony from the woman during the trial. The woman, mother of five children, had tried to run away from the couple’s home at Villa and Sierra avenues after a violent confrontation.

“I knew he had guns in the house, and he had knives, too. I didn’t know what he would grab,” the woman said during the trial describing an incident that happened months before she was shot.

A 911 recording played in court gave jurors a sense of the violence that played out during one of the domestic violence incidents involving Madueno and the woman. Screams and crying of the daughters can be heard as an operator tried to get a response from the victims.

Madueno reportedly fled the country, but was later found in Mexico and brought back to be booked into Fresno County Jail as he awaited trial.

District Attorney Lisa Smittcamp, a longtime domestic violence victim advocate, prosecuted the case.

The DA’s office said Madueno will be eligible for release under the Elderly Parole Program once he turns 60.

Cresencio Rodriguez-Delgado
The Fresno Bee
Cresencio Rodriguez-Delgado is a journalist at The Fresno Bee. He covers the City of Clovis and Fresno County issues. Previously he reported on poverty and inequality for The California Divide media project from CalMatters. He grew up in the southern San Joaquin Valley and has a bachelor’s degree in print journalism from Fresno State.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER