Local

Suspicious suitcase forces traffic shutdown on Shaw Avenue by Fresno’s Fashion Fair mall

Shaw Avenue in front of the Fashion Fair mall in Fresno was shut down to traffic for several hours Friday as police investigated a suspicious suitcase left outside a bank, police officials said.

Several mall entrances were also shut down, but the mall remained open. Police described the shutdowns as precautionary.

Police were called to the area around 1:20 p.m. after bank employees said a suitcase had been left in front of the bank for several hours.

Shaw Avenue was closed between Fresno and First streets for several hours while the city bomb squad investigated the suitcase, which turned out to be some kind of “folding presentation board,” police said.

The scene was cleared shortly after 5 p.m. Friday.

This story was originally published July 1, 2022 at 4:08 PM.

Anthony Galaviz
The Fresno Bee
Anthony Galaviz writes about sports for The Fresno Bee. He covers the Las Vegas Raiders, high schools, boxing, MMA and junior colleges. He’s been with The Bee since 1997 and attended Fresno City College before graduating from Fresno State with a major in journalism and a minor in criminology. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER