More arrests in deadly bowling alley shooting, Fresno police say. One suspect at large
Fresno Police Chief Paco Balderrama on Thursday announced multiple arrests made in connection to a gang-related homicide at a Fresno bowling alley last month.
Earlier this week, Fresno police arrested two men in connection to the fatal shooting: Giovanni Gustavo Rodriguez, 19, and Rafael Ordaz Gonzalez, 18. Police have video of the shooting, according to Balderrama.
Both were booked into the Fresno County Jail on a charge of murder. Their bail was set at $1.5 million.
In an update to the case Thursday, Balderrama said 44-year-old Gustavo Mendez, 28-year-old Isaac Havens and an unnamed 17-year-old juvenile male have also been arrested for assault charges and for participating in the crime for the benefit of their gang.
The killing took place early February after a heated argument at the Bowlero Bowling Alley in north Fresno; the shooting left 18-year-old Devin Johnson dead. The investigation determined that the “shooting was a gang-motivated murder involving several other criminal gang members,” according to a police news release sent Thursday.
Detectives are still searching for 23-year-old Samuel Serena, a parolee at large who has a warrant issued for his arrest on an unrelated case.
The chief said the arrests “cut the head off the snake” of the gang involved in the violence at Bowlero.
Balderrama for the second time this week reassured residents that they can trust they will be safe in Fresno’s public places and shopping centers.
He sent out a similar message on Tuesday, the day after a man sought out a victim at Ruth’s Chris Steak House and shot the victim outside of the River Park eatery. The victim is expected to survive, and police have not announced any arrests in that case.
“You have to look at the numbers. Shootings at these particular places are extremely rare,” Balderrama said Thursday. “You compare that to other parts of the city, they still continue to be some of the safest parts of the city.”
Balderrama has said violence is down in the early part of 2022, but noted that’s compared to a particularly violent 2021.
There have been 76 shootings through Tuesday compared to 108 at the same time last year, according to numbers from police. Last year saw 14 homicides, which was twice the number seen through Tuesday.
Although the Bowlero investigation is complete, anyone who has information on the case can contact Homicide Detective Chris Franks at 559-621-2427 or Detective Manny Romero at 559-621-2451. Or you can remain completely anonymous by calling Crime Stoppers at 559-498-STOP.
This story was originally published March 3, 2022 at 12:56 PM.