You can celebrate both this week, or take in one of these other seven things happening.
▪ Carlos Mencia: Remember when Joe Rogan accused Mencia of stealing jokes and everyone freaked out because that is totally frowned upon? Good times. Anyway, the stand-up comic really is funny and still wildly popular. He’s doing a two-night run of local shows in Fresno and Visalia. Details: 8 p.m. Thursday, Tower Theater Fresno, 815 E. Olive Ave. $34.50-$44.50. 559-485-9050, www.towertheatrefresno.com; 8 p.m. Friday, Visalia Fox Theatre, 300 W. Main St., Visalia. $$35-$45. 559-625-1369, www.foxvisalia.org
▪ Fresno Pirate Festival: Sorry to say, you’re not Jack Sparrow. Don’t let that stop you from breaking out those pirate jokes and celebrating in style. Go for the cannon fire, stay for the rum tasting. Details: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Kearney Park, 7160 W. Kearney Blvd. $10-$15. Fresno Pirate Festival on Facebook
▪ Adventure Hunt Fresno: Keeping with the pirate theme, there’s this modern treasure hunt through the streets of Fresno. We’re fairly certain there’s no sword fighting allowed. Details: Multiple spots around Fresno. $40-$60. adventurehunt.co
▪ Fresno Art Museum Summer Exhibitions: Lest you think it’s all low-brow entertainment this week, the Fresno Art Museum opens four new exhibits. Maurice Cohen’s exhibit of Abstract and Impressionist paintings is intriguing. Details: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, 2233 N. First St., $5-$10 for non-members. 559-441-4221, www.fresnoartmuseum.org
▪ 7th Annual American Craft Beer Festival: Forget Heineken (and Pabst Blue Ribbon for that matter), this is American Craft Beer Week. Plenty of places are celebrating, but BC’s Pizza and Beer does it best, tapping a massive number of rare and limited release brews with names like Velvet Merkin, Hopocalypse and Le Petit Diablotin. Details: Business hours, through May 29, BC’s Pizza and Beer, 1315 Shaw Ave., Clovis. 559-297-7800, bcspizzaandbeer.com
▪ Los Lonely Boys: Normally, we’d say shy away from anything labeled Tex-Mex. Los Lonely Boys are Grammy winners and sold-out Fulton 55 when the band was in town last last year. The band gets a pass. Song you’ll know: “Heaven.” Details: 8 p.m. Tuesday, Fulton 55, 875 E. Divisadero Ave. $30-$45. 559-412-7400, www.fulton55.com
▪ Boots in the Park: Is this the name of an event, or just a description of the footwear you can expect to see at Rotary Park Amphitheater on Thursday? It’s both, obviously. The concert, part of a monthly summer series, features the country party band Locash. Details: 5 p.m. Thursday, Rotary Amphitheater at Woodward Park. $19.49-$39. All ages. bootsinthepark.com