Clovis High School senior Graham Hauss was presented the 2017 B’nai B’rith Student Athlete Award on Monday night.
“It’s truly an honor,” said Hauss after receiving a standing ovation at the Clovis Veterans Memorial District Building.
In addition to his 4.48 GPA, Hauss is a water polo and swimming standout. In swimming, he is a six-time Central Section champion, three-time state champion and twice was named a Fresno Bee All-Star. Hauss is also member of the California Scholarship Federation, National Honor Society and Inter-School Council.
“I couldn’t be more proud,” said his mother, Jennifer Hauss, as she teared up.
Never miss a local story.
The B’nai B’rith Fresno chapter started in 1951 and since then has awarded over 700 students scholarships. The organization awards students in the Fresno-Clovis area who combine athletic and academic skills.
Each nominee received a $500 scholarships and a $2,500 scholarship was awarded to the overall winner.
All nominees are evaluated on his or her athletic ability (65 percent), scholastic ability (25 percent) and community and school activities (10 percent).
Sasha Solano-McDaniel of Edison High was awarded the Irving Negin Academic Award for the highest GPA among the nominees. McDaniel has a GPA of 4.77. While taking 26 semesters of Advanced Placement classes, she has never received less than an A.
2017 B’nai B’rith nominees
- Paula Mia Aguilar, Roosevelt High School, tennis, soccer and softball
- Zavia Barlow, Washington Union High School, volleyball, basketball and track and field
- Katelyn Beebe, Hoover High School, water polo, soccer and swimming
- Mia Castillo, Clovis East High School , tennis, soccer, badminton and track and field
- Izaiah Cole, Sanger High School, basketball and volleyball
- Jose Covarrubias, Bullard High School, cross country, soccer and track and field
- Braden Fitzgerald, San Joaquin Memorial High School, basketball and baseball
- Juan Flores, McLane High School, water polo and soccer
- Graham Hauss, Clovis High School, water polo and swimming
- Carissa Hernandez, Sunnyside High School, cross country and track and field
- Gianna Hernandez, Central High School, softball
- Denae Marquez, Clovis West High School, basketball
- Kyle Marquez, Buchanan High School, water polo and baseball
- Evert Silva, Fresno High School, cross country, soccer and track and field
- Sasha Solano-McDaniel, Edison High School, cross country, wrestling and lacrosse
- Brooke Tjerrild, Clovis North High School, gymnastics and track and field