The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 most requested books
▪ “Camino Island,” by John Grisham.
▪ “Come Sundown,” by Nora Roberts.
▪ “The Late Show,” by Michael Connelly.
▪ “Magpie Murders,” by Anthony Horowitz.
▪ “Kiss Carlo,” by Adriana Trigiani.
▪ “Sea Glass: Rare and Wonderful,” by C.S. Lambert. Take a trip through the author’s personal collection of sea glass and ceramic fragments, originating in human hands but made beautiful by the gentle motions of salt and water.
▪ “Kiss Carlo: A Novel,” by Adriana Trigiani. In the wake of World War II, the Palazzini family of south Philadelphia struggles to keep competing cab businesses, a community theater and a years-long engagement alive.
▪ “The Force,” by Don Winslow. Denny Malone’s record as a New York Police Department detective has made him a living legend. Unfortunately, his flaws are equally monumental, and threaten to overwhelm him and everyone he holds dear.
▪ “Reading the Bible with the Founding Fathers,” by Daniel L. Dreisbach. The most influential book in Western civilization decisively shaped the American Revolution and what followed. The author charts its course – sometimes obvious, often surprising – through the ideas and documents that continue to influence our daily lives.
▪ “Bill O’Reilly’s Legends & Lies: The Patriots,” by David Fisher. Learn what George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were like, not just as leaders but as family men, diplomats and peacemakers.
▪ “Hamilton, the Revolution: Being the Complete Libretto of the Broadway Musical, with a True Account of its Creation, and Concise Remarks on Hip-Hop, the Power of Stories, and the New America,” by Lin-Manuel Miranda. A descriptive title which few, if any, could improve!
▪ Clovis Classics Book Club: Come discuss classic books with other bibliophiles. 6-7 p.m., Wednesday, in the Teen Area, Clovis Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9531.
▪ Fun at Four: Join us on Thursday afternoons for summer library fun. There will be games, crafts, science experiments and Wii gaming. Ages 6 and up are welcome. 4-5 p.m., Thursday, Reedley Branch Library. Details: 559-638-2818.
▪ Author Talk: Mystery authors Lorie Lewis Ham and Marilyn Meredith will discuss their latest books, which are set in the Fresno area, and answer questions about writing. Books will be available for purchasing/signing after the program. 3:30-4:30 p.m., Saturday, Central Library. Details: 559-600-7323.