Boxing notebook: Marcos Hernandez of Fresno scores first win in almost a year
Marcos Hernandez is still undefeated.
Considering it’s been almost a year since he last fought because of Lasik eye surgery, the Fresno boxer is pleased how things turned out this week in his return.
Hernandez came away victorious with a unanimous-decision win Tuesday over previously unbeaten Thomas Hill of Las Vegas at Robinson Rancheria Resort & Casino at Clear Lake.
“I trained hard,” Hernandez said. “Haven’t been in the ring for a long time. Got a lot of sparring in and good work in the gym. I was ready.”
Hernandez (8-0) dictated the fight against Hill (6-1) with his left. Judges scored the fight 79-72, 78-73 and 77-74.
“I’m not fighting guys that are just going to lay down for me,” said Hernandez, who signed a five-year contract with manager Al Haymon in 2014. “I’m fighting tough opponents, not just anybody, or a guy with a losing record all the time. They’re not easy to knock out.”
Hernandez had not fought since last August before taking time off because he wanted to correct his vision.
“First fight that I actually had 20-20 vision in the ring,” Hernandez said. “Not only do I see a complexion of someone’s face to hit them, but it makes it more clear and to see punches coming. I mean, I saw them before but it looked blurry coming in. It’s a lot easier now.”
No fight for Valdivia – Daniel Valdivia of Tulare was set to face Janks Trotter (10-3, 10 KOs) of Calgary at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix on Saturday, but Trotter suffered a knee injury and is out.
Valdivia (11-0, 9 KOs) will next focus on co-headlining the Top Rank card at Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino in Lemoore on Sept. 10.
Tachi card taking shape – Undefeated heavyweight boxer Andy Ruiz Jr. of Imperial Valley will headline the September card at Tachi against an opponent to be named later. Ruiz (27-0, 18 KOs also will fight Saturday in Detroit.
Also on the card in Lemoore will be Joe Louie Lopez of Fresno against Stockton’s Quilisto Madera (3-0, 1 KO) in a middleweight bout. Lopez (8-1, 5 KOs) suffered his first loss July 9 when he was knocked out in the first round by Ernesto Martinez.
Saul Lomas (8-0, 5 KOs) of Fresno also will be on the card, along with a women’s bout.
Tickets go on sale July 19.
Anthony Galaviz: 559-441-6042, @agalaviz_TheBee
This story was originally published July 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM with the headline "Boxing notebook: Marcos Hernandez of Fresno scores first win in almost a year."