Sports

A Fresno boxer packs a punch on the Floyd Mayweather/Conor McGregor undercard

Marcos Hernandez of Fresno won by unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Kevin Newman II at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017.
Marcos Hernandez of Fresno won by unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Kevin Newman II at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017.

Losing his last fight didn’t sit well with Marcos Hernandez.

The Fresnan made up for it a big way – and on a big stage, no less.

Hernandez (10-1) won by unanimous decision over Kevin Newman II on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor mega-fight at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night. It was Newman’s first loss in nine decisions.

Two judges scored the six-round fight 59-54 and another 57-56.

“I knew Newman was a good fighter coming in, but I proved I was better,” Hernandez said. “He’s a slick boxer, but so am I. I thought I controlled every round, but in the corner, my coach and dad was telling me they were close and put urgency in me.”

Hernandez listened to his new trainer, Henry Ramirez, and dad, Joseph, on his way to knocking Newman down in the final round with a left hook.

“That sealed the deal,” he said.

Hernandez was coming off a loss to Kyrone Davis by split decision in March.

That loss left a bad taste for Hernandez, and after his victory Saturday he said, “that taste is still there.”

Newman was regarded as a favorite over Hernandez by Pro Boxing Odds.

Hernandez earned a guaranteed $7,000 purse.

Anthony Galaviz: 559-441-6042, @agalaviz_TheBee

This story was originally published August 26, 2017 at 6:50 PM with the headline "A Fresno boxer packs a punch on the Floyd Mayweather/Conor McGregor undercard."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER