Wonderful! The first rainstorm has washed our air clean, clear and crisp. Oh, but there’s a bit of a chill in the air and a need to provide some warmth.
Fire up the gas furnace? No, gas is too expensive, and today is a burn day! Ignite the wood fireplace and warm yourself with ambiance of a crackling fire. After all, the air board says it’s OK. Never mind the spewing acidic smoke from the chimney with the crud that permeates our summer air. Enjoy that wood fire, producing enough pollutants so tomorrow will be a no-burn day.
Go outside and observe what’s coming out your chimney, smell the air. The nose knows.
Mike Crain, Clovis
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee