Letters to the Editor

Planned Parenthood prevents more abortions than anti-abortion groups

Our elected congressional members continue to distract themselves by threatening to defund Planned Parenthood while the Middle East is in deadly turmoil, while climate change brings devastating drought and floods and while the American middle class shrinks daily. It seems that for Congress, it’s easier to focus on political “wedge” issues than to solve real problems.

Planned Parenthood is being attacked because 3 percent of its services are abortions, even though the other 97 percent are preventive health care services for women and men. Planned Parenthood is the single largest provider of low-cost contraception in the country, so one can extrapolate that they, while honoring a woman’s right to control her own body, do more to reduce the need for abortions than any anti-abortion group.

The truth is this effort is really an attack on affordable reproductive health care for all women.

Thank you, Planned Parenthood, for standing tall in the present hostile environment.

Lynn Storey, Fresno

  Comments