Shooting of man bringing in trash can at Fresno home may be drug-related, sheriff says
The Tuesday morning shooting of a man wounded while bringing in a trash container in unincorporated southeast Fresno may not be a random act, the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office said.
Sheriff’s spokesman Tony Botti said the victim was in critical but stable condition and had been interviewed by detectives after undergoing surgery. Investigators found drugs inside the victim’s home near Peach and Belmont avenues after serving a warrant, and Botti said there is a strong possibility that fact made him a target.
Deputies went to the 5200 block of East Madison Avenue shortly after 6:30 a.m., where they were told the victim was confronted by a gunman who demanded to be taken into the victim’s home. The victim refused and the suspect shot him once in the torso, then ran away, heading east on Madison Avenue. The victim was able to return to the home and call 911. It was initially unclear whether the victim and suspect knew one another.
The suspect was described as being about 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds.
Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff’s dispatch line at 559-600-3111 or, to remain confidential, Crime Stoppers at 559-498-7867.
Jim Guy: 559-441-6339, @jimguy27
This story was originally published December 8, 2015 at 10:33 AM with the headline "Shooting of man bringing in trash can at Fresno home may be drug-related, sheriff says."