Three-time DUI driver going to prison for killing 79-year-old man in 2017 crash
A Riverdale man with three prior DUI convictions was sentenced Monday to 15 years to life in prison for a drunk driving crash that killed a 79-year-old man.
Hector Jose Torres, 29, was convicted by a jury in April of second degree murder and DUI in the death of Faqir Singh of Selma.
Singh was on his way home from his job at the Del Monte plant in Hanford at about 10:30 p.m. on June 6, 2017 when he collided with Torres.
Investigators said Singh was on Highway 43 north of Conejo Avenue when Torres, who was parked on the east shoulder, suddenly pulled onto the roadway.
Torres crashed into Singh’s 2008 Honda, sending both men to the hospital. Torres was taken to Community Regional Medical Center with major injuries while Singh was taken to Adventist Medical Center in Selma, where he later died.
During the sentencing Monday, Judge Gary Orozco denied Torres probation because of his previous DUI convictions and his continued violations of the law. Three days before the June 6 crash, Torres was arrested for DUI and he was driving on a suspended or revoked license.
The family of the victim did not provide a statement to the judge on Monday.
Orozco said Torres had previously been given a warning in court that the next time he was involved in a DUI crash and someone dies, he could be charged with murder.
“”This was a tragic case all the way around as many of our cases are,” Orozco said.
Torress chose not to speak on Monday, but his public defender Philip Billington spoke on his behalf.
“Mr. Torres has communicated to me that he is deeply remorseful for his actions in this case,” Billington said. “He knows how devastating car accidents can be, whether alcohol is involved or not.”
Prosecuting Torres was Deputy District Attorney Ryan Wells.
This story was originally published May 18, 2020 at 3:27 PM.