Local

Pismo Beach body ID’d as Tulare man missing since March

Officials on Tuesday identified the body of the man found washed ashore south of Pismo Beach as that of the reported pier-jumper from Tulare who went missing in March.

Marco Antonio Reyes Jr., 28, of Tulare is the man found Monday afternoon on a stretch of beach about one mile south of the Pismo Pier, near the Grand Avenue beach entrance in Grover Beach, said Detective Sgt. Bryan Cox of the Pismo Beach Police Department.

Reyes had been missing since March 19 after reportedly jumping off the Pismo Beach Pier. Witnesses told Pismo Beach police that Reyes appeared to be swimming normally after his jump, but then began calling for help before disappearing.

Cox said the death has been ruled accidental, due to Reyes’ cries for help. The cause of death is possibly drowning, as witnesses said they saw Reyes go under the water, Cox said.

No official cause of death has been established pending an autopsy Wednesday.

This story was originally published April 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM with the headline "Pismo Beach body ID’d as Tulare man missing since March."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER