Five people were honored by the Rotary Club of Fresno Monday with public safety awards for their exceptional service in the line of duty.
The club each year recognizes members of the law enforcement and public safety community as a way to thank them for service and heroism. The following five people and their families were honored at the luncheon:
- John Capriola, Fresno County Sheriff's Office detective. Sheriff Margaret Mims made the presentation.
- Thomas Cope, Fresno Fire Department battalion chief. Fire Chief Kerri Donis made the presentation.
- Gunter Meiss, Fresno Police Department officer. Police Chief Jerry Dyer presented the award.
- Christopher Swanberg, CHP officer, honored by CHP Capt. C.R. Kunzler.
- Gabriel Brickley, Fresno County District Attorney's deputy. District Attorney Lisa Smittcamp made the presentation.
“One of the Rotary Club’s key mottos is service above self, said Hal H. Bolen II, Rotary Club president. “We try to practice that, but we never get anywhere near where these folks do every day.”