Local

Five Fresnans sentenced for federal firearms charges

Five Fresno residents were sentenced in U.S. District Court in downtown Fresno for violations of federal firearm laws, U.S. Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner said.

Wagner said the defendants previously pleaded guilty in five separate cases. The cases were the result of investigations by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the FBI and Fresno police. The investigations are part of Project Safe Neighborhoods, which is a joint initiative to combat gang and gun violence.

▪ Richard Diaz, 27, was sentenced to four years and nine months in prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

▪ Jose Munoz Ramirez, 25, was sentenced to time served (six months in prison) for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

▪ Ernie Rodriguez, 39, was sentenced to six years and six months in prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

▪ Javier Lamadrid, 33, was sentenced to three years and 10 months in prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

▪ Andrew Cortez, 33, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for possession of a firearm in a school zone.

“Removing violent and armed criminals from our community is our top priority, said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer. “Thanks to Project Safe Neighborhoods and our partnership with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, these defendants will not be allowed to victimize members of our community for many years.”

Paul Schlesinger: 559-441-6659, @PaulSch_Photog

This story was originally published December 16, 2015 at 10:24 PM with the headline "Five Fresnans sentenced for federal firearms charges."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER