Local

Carbon dioxide scare empties east-central Fresno McDonald’s

Employees at an east-central Fresno McDonald’s, left, were forced to evacuate after a minor carbon dioxide leak.
Employees at an east-central Fresno McDonald’s, left, were forced to evacuate after a minor carbon dioxide leak. rappleton@fresnobee.com

Employees at an east-central Fresno McDonald’s restaurant evacuated the building around 4 p.m. Thursday after several began to feel dizzy and light-headed from a minor carbon dioxide leak.

Fresno Fire Capt. Rob Michaels said the department’s hazardous materials team inspected the restaurant near McKinley and Chestnut avenues and found trace amounts of carbon dioxide in the air. They determined a carbon dioxide tank had not been screwed into a soda machine properly, causing some of it to vent inside the restaurant.

The two employees did not suffer any lasting effects, Michaels said. They refused treatment and returned to work.

The Fresno County Health Department deemed the restaurant safe, and it reopened shortly after 4:30 p.m.

  Comments