A residential fire broke out in east-central Fresno near Shaw and Willow avenues Saturday night.
Smoke detectors alerted the residents, who saw smoke coming from the dishwasher and called for help.
When firefighters opened the dishwasher, smoke came out but no flames were seen, signaling an electrical fire behind the dishwasher, Fresno Fire Captain Ken Yasunaga said.
Yasunaga said the only damage was the smell of smoke throughout the building and paint blistering on the cabinets in the kitchen.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Firefighters put out the fire and removed the dishwasher unit within two or three minutes, according to Yasunaga.