Two teens killed by falling tree branch in Yosemite identified
The two teenagers killed by a falling oak tree branch in Yosemite National Park on Friday have been identified.
Mariposa County officials said that they did not expect to release the identity of the teens until Wednesday. But the Orange County Register, citing Tustin school officials and Orange County water polo coaches, identified the boys as Dragon Kim and Justin Lee.
The boys had been camping with family at the Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite Valley when a limb from a black oak fell onto their tent where they were sleeping about 5 a.m. Friday.
Rangers responded to provide medical assistance, but the victims were already dead, park officials said.
The Orange County Register reported that both students had attended Pioneer Middle School and played water polo.
Kim was attending the Orange County School of the Arts, and Lee, an incoming freshman, was also planning to attend OCSA in the fall, the newspaper said.
Park officials said the Upper Pines Campground is one of the most popular with a view of Half Dome. The campground was full or near capacity at the time of the incident.
In 2012, a Yosemite concession employee also died when his tent cabin was hit by a falling limb.
The Merced Sun-Star contributed to this report. Megan Ginise: 559-441-6614
This story was originally published August 17, 2015 at 7:51 PM with the headline "Two teens killed by falling tree branch in Yosemite identified."