Have big yard sales near Fresno High become ‘rogue swap meets’? Why city is cracking down
The wide grassy medians on Van Ness Avenue in central Fresno were not teeming with pop-up tents during Saturday’s Terrace Avenue block sale, a switch from recent weeks at other block sales..
That’s because city officials say competitive vendors, traffic congestion, and sidewalks clogged with food stands turned some neighborhood events into free-for-alls.
Neighbors noted bickering people fighting for space to set up stands in the center median. There were also problems with traffic congestion, drivers blocking driveways and parking in the middle of the street, along with piles of trash left behind..
Block sales between Shields and Clinton avenues are longstanding start-of-summer events for the Fresno High neighborhood. Residents on six avenues, including Princeton, Harvard, and Terrace avenues, hob nob, exchange books and browse knickknacks that neighbors set out for sale.
But as in recent years, the grassroots, community events have morphed into something else, as vendors from throughout the city show up to sell soft drinks, snacks , used clothing and other items.
That’s caught the attention of city officials including Fresno City Council President Annalisa Perea and City Attorney Andrew Janz, both with residences in the area. They say certain aspects of the events have gotten out of hand.
“A lot of homeowners have seen how it’s changed over the years,” said Perea, who described one such event as “a rogue swap meet.”
In at least one instance, a food seller dumped a grease trap in a nearby yard, she said. The problems have forced the city to step in “to keep the peace between the neighbors and the vendors,” she said.
Janz, for his part, dispatched Code Enforcement officials.
Perea said city officials are now treating the median as a city park strip, which allows them to limit vendors from setting up there. Signage has been posted to announce the changes.
In addition, code enforcement officers are not allowing food sales, unless vendors are licensed. So far, no citations have been issued.
“We really tried to take an educational approach,” said Janz, adding that the code enforcement effort was funded by overtime funds built into the budget.
Said Perea: “We are honoring the will of the property owners in the area.”
The issue involving unlicensed vendors isn’t the first turbulence to shake the longstanding yard sales in the area.
In 2020, the adjacent Harvard block sale was threatened with cancellation over concerns about the spread of the coronavirus. But city officials settled for issuing a flier cautioning visitors to mask up.
This story was originally published May 28, 2024 at 11:23 AM.
CORRECTION: A previous version incorrectly reported that no overtime pay was used for code enforcement officers to enforce food vendor rules. Overtime already built into the budget was used.