Local

Man from Fresno now missing for a week after family fishing trip to San Luis Reservoir

Authorities continue to search for missing 57-year-old Chang Cheng of Fresno. According to the Merced County Sheriff’s Office, Cheng went missing while on a fishing trip at the San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area in Merced County on Thursday. Image courtesy of Merced County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities continue to search for missing 57-year-old Chang Cheng of Fresno. According to the Merced County Sheriff’s Office, Cheng went missing while on a fishing trip at the San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area in Merced County on Thursday. Image courtesy of Merced County Sheriff’s Office. akuhn@mercedsun-star.com

Searchers continue their efforts in Merced County as a Fresno man lost on a fishing trip remained missing after a week, according to authorities.

Chang Cheng, 57, went missing about 7 p.m. Sept. 21 at the San Luis Reservoir State Recreation area near Highway 152 and Vista Point at the conclusion of a fishing excursion with family, deputies said.

Family members on social media described him as an avid outdoorsman who loved fishing and hiking. They said he has had recent heart health issues and wears a monitor on his chest.

As a refugee from Laos at about 6 years old, he escaped on foot to Thailand with his family, a woman who identified herself as his daughter said on social media.

She called him “the most selfless and big-hearted person in the world.”

Searchers this week have looked on both the north and south sides of Highway 152, checking the waterways though there has been no indication that Cheng has drowned, according to deputy Michael Domingue.

“We have no evidence that he may be in the water but we’re doing our due diligence,” he said Thursday.

Domingue said Cheng’s family has taken part in the search.

California Department of Parks and Recreation officials were also involved in the search though the overall number of searchers has dwindled since it peaked at 78, he said.

Andrew Kuhn akuhn@mercedsun-star.com

Domingue said the search was being conducted with the expectation that Cheng would be found alive in the search and rescue effort.

The authorities have said they also used horse teams, K-9 teams and four aircraft in the effort.

Authorities said the man was reportedly fishing with family members and told them he was leaving. When his family members returned to where they had parked, they found Cheng’s car but were unable to locate him.

Authorities said Cheng wears glasses, is 5-foot-6 and weighs about 165 pounds. He was last seen wearing dark clothing and a red/burgundy backpack.

The Merced County Sheriff’s Office asks anyone who has seen Cheng or has any information to call 209-385-7445.

akuhn@mercedsun-star.com

Tulare County hunter found safe

A hunter who went missing earlier this week was found safe four days later, the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.

Juan Duron Velasquez, 75, went missing Sunday near California Hot Springs and was found around 7 a.m. Thursday by Search and Rescue Team members, a news release said.

He was located about 1,500 feet above Ruby Creek.

akuhn@mercedsun-star.com
Authorities continue to search for missing 57-year-old Chang Cheng of Fresno. According to the Merced County Sheriff’s Office, Cheng went missing while on a fishing trip at the San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area in Merced County on Thursday. Image courtesy of Merced County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities continue to search for missing 57-year-old Chang Cheng of Fresno. According to the Merced County Sheriff’s Office, Cheng went missing while on a fishing trip at the San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area in Merced County on Thursday. Image courtesy of Merced County Sheriff’s Office. akuhn@mercedsun-star.com

This story was originally published September 29, 2023 at 7:24 AM.

Thaddeus Miller
Merced Sun-Star
Reporter Thaddeus Miller has covered cities in the central San Joaquin Valley since 2010, writing about everything from breaking news to government and police accountability. A native of Fresno, he joined The Fresno Bee in 2019 after time in Merced and Los Banos.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER