Local

Merced names interim chief during search for permanent top cop. He retired from Modesto

A 28-year veteran of law enforcement will serve as the interim chief of police in Merced, where the City Council recently asked for an investigation of police practices.

City Manager Stephanie Dietz said in a news release Tuesday the interim chief will be Craig Gundlach, who retired from the Modesto Police Department at the end of 2019.

His first day is on Monday and the job is expected to last about six months, officials said.

Gundlach said he hopes to lead the department and give it continuity while the city searches for a full-time chief. “I place a high value on public safety and service to the community,” he said in a news release.

He’ll make $14,617 a month, according to a city spokesperson, which is the equivalent of yearly salary of $175,409.

Police Chief Tom Cavallero retired at the end of last year from Merced Police Department and Capt. Joe Weiss has been the interim chief in the meantime.

Gundlach joins the department as the City Council on a split vote sent a letter to state Attorney General Rob Bonta, asking him to investigate the Merced Police Department and its procedures.

Gundlach will also be on the job as Dietz winds down her time with the city. She’s said she will leave in November.

Dietz said Gundlach’s experience made him the right choice.

Gundlach retired as a captain in Modesto. His priorities included strengthening the relationship between the department and the people it serves, the news release said.

He graduated from the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia, and has a bachelor’s from California State University, Long Beach, according to the release.

The city of Merced hired Bob Murray & Associates to conduct a national search for a permanent chief.

“We are committed to transparent and equitable public engagement during the search for the city’s chief of police,” Dietz said in a news release. “Input from our community, officers, elected officials and labor groups will be critical to the selection process.”

To participate in the public outreach process, visit www.engage.cityofmerced.org

This story was originally published February 28, 2023 at 12:36 PM.

Thaddeus Miller
Merced Sun-Star
Reporter Thaddeus Miller has covered cities in the central San Joaquin Valley since 2010, writing about everything from breaking news to government and police accountability. A native of Fresno, he joined The Fresno Bee in 2019 after time in Merced and Los Banos.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER