Local

Update: Latest inspection results for shuttered Radisson in Fresno. What the city found

The Radisson Hotel building as seen near the former Club One Casino and the Pacific Southwest Building on Van Ness Avenue in downtown Fresno on Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022. The City of Fresno shut down the popular hotel on Wednesday due to fire code violations.
The Radisson Hotel building as seen near the former Club One Casino and the Pacific Southwest Building on Van Ness Avenue in downtown Fresno on Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022. The City of Fresno shut down the popular hotel on Wednesday due to fire code violations. Fresno Bee file

A downtown Fresno hotel has now been officially shut down by the city, following a safety inspection that found it “no longer able to operate in a manner that provides its guests with a safe environment.”

Fresno’s city manager called for a full safety assessment on Thursday, after the hotel at Van Ness and Tulare avenues repeatedly failed to bring its fire-alarm system up to current standards.

In a statement released Friday, Fresno Mayor Jerry Dyer said the city had been working with the hotel’s owners to remain open when they updated the fire system. That included a 24-hour “fire watch” system.

Following the assessment from city building officials, code enforcement officers and fire inspectors, “the city can no longer allow a temporary measure to take the place of permanent repairs to the fire alarm system,” it said in the statement.

The location is now “unsafe to occupy until the permanent repairs are done,” according to a notice posted from the city.

Among the violations found throughout the building:

  • Compromised fire-resistive construction
  • Compromised fire-rated walls and doors
  • Compromised emergency exit lighting

There were also open gas lines in numerous locations, a non-functioning fire alarm panel and an emergency generator that’s not operational, the city said.

The hotel has one month to obtain development permits, according to the notice from the city. All repairs must be completed by April 30.

The city could seek legal actions at that time, including citations, criminal prosecution or abatement (take over), according to the notice.

Earlier this week it was reported that the hotel, which was once affiliated with the Radisson chain, had stopped taking reservations.

The owners of the building could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday or Thursday.

This story was originally published December 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM.

JT
Joshua Tehee
The Fresno Bee
Joshua Tehee covers breaking news for The Fresno Bee, writing on a wide range of topics from police, politics and weather, to arts and entertainment in the Central Valley.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER