Wanted for kidnapping Clovis teen girl in 2016, he fled to Mexico. Now, he’s been caught
A 44-year old Lompac man has been booked into Fresno County Jail after spending four years on the run for allegedly kidnapping a 13-year-old girl in Clovis.
Miguel Carriedo was arrested by authorities in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on Tuesday and returned to the United States. He is being held on a no-bail warrant for conspiring to kidnap the girl from her home in 2016.
Carriedo was one of three suspects who allegedly grabbed the girl as she returned from school, according to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office. They forced the girl into the trunk of a car and drove her to Tollhouse, where they left her beaten and tied to a tree, the sheriff’s office said in a news release Friday.
The girl escaped and walked more than a mile before finding help.
At the time, detectives arrested three people for the crime — Carriedo, his cousin Sandra Garcia and her son Mark Anthony Roque. Garcia was the girlfriend of the victim’s father and had conspired with Carriedo and Roque to kidnap the girl, according to the sheriff’s office.
The three were released from jail a few days later and no charges were filed due to the need for additional evidence. When new arrest warrants were issued several months later, Carriedo had already disappeared.
In January, detectives learned that Carriedo had fled to Mexico to avoid apprehension and prosecution for the case. The sheriff’s office worked with the United States Marshals Service’s Pacific Southwest Regional Fugitive Task Force and law enforcement in Mexico to locate Carriedo and bring him into custody.
Garcia and Roque remain in jail, the department said and there are no other outstanding suspects in this case.