Local

As COVID-19 rules loosen, Fresno County says wearing a mask now more important than ever

Health officials said Friday now that Fresno County is loosening restrictions for eating out and going shopping, it’s more important than ever to wear a mask, stay socially distant and wash your hands.

Fresno County got permission this week to allow dine-in options again at restaurants that had been restricted to to-go orders only during the coronavirus pandemic.

Eating out comes with more risks, as people going out in public more routinely are at the greatest risk of contracting the coronavirus, according to Dr. Rais Vohra, the interim health officer for Fresno County.

Almost 46% of the people who have tested positive for the coronavirus through Friday contracted it during close contact, the kind of contact people could see at stores and restaurants.

“That’s totally preventable with masks,” Vohra said. “Social distancing and masking can prevent all (close contact transmissions). That’s a significant impact we can all be making.”

Some residents have expressed anger over orders like those to wear masks, calling it a civil rights issue.

The city of Fresno has ordered shoppers to wear masks and will continue that order when many more businesses are allowed to reopen on Tuesday.

The county issued a similar order that required masks beginning Friday but quickly changed the wording hours later to urge masks but not make them mandatory.

The more shops and restaurants open, the more people will be out mingling, according to Dr. Stephanie Koch-Kumar, the county’s senior epidemiologist.

“It’s really important to keep up that social distancing. Even though things are opening, it does not mean your risk is reduced,” she said. “Your risk is at a high level.”

Without a group effort from the community, the spreading of the coronavirus by close contact could grow, Koch-Kumar said.

County officials have said restaurants can reopen once they submit a plan to the county. The owners need not wait for the plan to be reviewed or for a seal of approval from the county.

But, the county’s health inspectors, who already routinely look into eateries, will be making sure the restaurants are complying with safety guideline, according to Dave Pomaville, the director of public health for the county.

Pomaville said he trusts that most eateries will be able to maintain safe standards.

“A lot of these folks have been already working through the first stage and providing meals and important services to our community,” he said. “They’re now just expanding to the dine-in portion.”

This story was originally published May 22, 2020 at 7:23 PM.

Thaddeus Miller
Merced Sun-Star
Reporter Thaddeus Miller has covered cities in the central San Joaquin Valley since 2010, writing about everything from breaking news to government and police accountability. A native of Fresno, he joined The Fresno Bee in 2019 after time in Merced and Los Banos.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER