Sanger man pleads not guilty to murdering former Fresno High standout athlete
A 20-year-old Sanger man accused of gunning down Lee Major III at a party in Fowler pleaded not guilty Tuesday.
Joseph Ornelas is charged with one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder. Police say Ornelas is alleged to have shot Major, 20, and several others after he was asked to leave a party at a Fowler home on Dec. 15.
A trial date has been set for April 13.
During a preliminary hearing earlier this month, several witnesses said Ornelas began arguing with people about whether they were in a gang. At one point, the situation got so heated several party goers asked Ornelas and a friend to leave.
Major, a standout athlete in football and basketball at Fresno High, confronted Ornelas about being disruptive and witnesses said the two men appeared ready to fight, until one of Major’s friends helped diffuse the situation.
Witnesses said Major was starting to walk away, when Ornelas began shooting.
Prosecutor Elana Smith said Major was shot three times in the back. He later died at the hospital. Major’s friend and another witness were also shot along with a friend of Ornelas, who took a bullet in the thigh.