Fire damaged a well-known restaurant in northeast Fresno on Sunday afternoon and two people who suffered smoke inhalation were taken to a hospital, firefighters said.
Employees of Five Restaurant were preparing to open for dinner service around 3 p.m. when flames sparked in a pizza oven inside the eatery at the Piazza del Fiore shopping center on Champlain Drive and Perrin Avenue, according to Battalion Chief Robert VanTassel with the Fresno Fire Department.
The two-alarm fire then spread into the restaurant’s attic, the battalion chief said.
Six people were working at the time. Two were examined for smoke inhalation and taken to a hospital, officials said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
A damage estimate wasn’t immediately available. Firefighters said it was too early to know when restaurant may reopen.
The restaurant offers a California-Italian fusion fine-dining menu.
No other businesses were damaged.