Coronavirus updates: State hospital on lockdown; More cases, death in Tulare County
California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday announced a plan that would ease the stay-at-home coronavirus restrictions for most of the state’s 58 counties. Counties will now have to show low and steady rates of hospitalization and positive cases.
On the same day, the number of coronavirus cases saw a triple-digit increase across the central San Joaquin Valley. More than 70 new cases were reported in Fresno County, along with an additional death. So far, 17 county residents have died of illness releases related to the coronavirus.
Tulare County reported an additional 103 new cases on Tuesday and four new deaths. In his update, Newsom said state health officials continue to monitor nursing facility deaths and coronavirus infections in Tulare County, where the total infection now counts more than 1,500 people.
Seventy-one people have died.
The six-county region has seen just under 100 deaths since the pandemic hit in March. More than 3,500 have tested positive.
State hospital on lockdown after patient tests positive
Coalinga State Hospital has been put on lockdown and movement has been restricted after a patient tested positive for the coronavirus Saturday.
The patient had returned from an outside facility, the Department of State Hospitals confirmed Tuesday. The patient had tested negative but was retested upon return to the hospital. The patient then was placed into an isolation room to start a precautionary 14-day quarantine.
The patient is now housed in a unit set aside to treat COVID-19, the department said in statement.
No other DSH patients have tested positive for COVID-19 at this time.
Admissions of certain categories of patients have been temporarily suspended at the hospital, and all new or readmitted patients are tested for COVID-19 either prior to or upon admission to the hospitals. Current patients are tested, when clinically indicated.
Visitation to all state hospitals is prohibited until further notice, with the exception of court-ordered evaluations and other legal matters and end-of-life care.
All approved visitors will be subject to a health screening.
Cemeteries are open, but Memorial Day celebrations muted
Fresno County loosened restrictions on cemeteries last week, allowing for graveside burials and public visitations — with strict social-distancing and mask protocols.
Even with the loosened restrictions, local American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War posts have all but canceled Memorial Day ceremonies this year. The groups don’t believe it’s possible to pull off the services while following the guidelines.
“Given the current restrictions, we can’t risk exposing that many people,” said Frank Ducar, commander of American Legion Cecil Cox Post 147 in Clovis. “We will have representatives out there masked up, gloved up and handing out flags.”
Memorial Day in Yosemite?
It is still unclear whether Yosemite National Park will remain closed through the normally-busy Memorial Day weekend, but lodging and tour reservations in the park have canceled at least through May 28, said the park’s concessionaire, Yosemite Hospitality.
The National Park Service said it’s continuing to “closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and develop a phased approach to increase recreational access and services” at Yosemite and other national parks. Some have already reopened.
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks announced last week that it will stay closed at least until May 25.
Undocumented workers rush to apply for aid, crash the system
Monday marked the first day undocumented workers in California could apply for a one-time coronavirus aid payment of $500 per individual or $1,000 per household.
The demand was overwhelming and caused the state’s coronavirus disaster relief website to crash for several hours, a state official said. Additionally, the hotlines for the nonprofits distributing the funding were “jammed,” and many people struggled to get through, an attorney told The Bee.
Some 112,000 undocumented workers are estimated to live in the central San Joaquin Valley. The state has roughly 2 million undocumented residents, according to researchers.
This story was originally published May 19, 2020 at 8:08 AM with the headline "Coronavirus updates: State hospital on lockdown; More cases, death in Tulare County."