Coronavirus

Third coronavirus patient confirmed in Fresno County. It’s a travel-related case

A third case of the contagious coronavirus (COVID-19) in Fresno County was announced Wednesday evening by the Fresno County Department of Public Health.

“This is a travel-related case and was not community acquired,” county health officials said in a news release. “This individual is doing well and is isolating and recovering at home at this time.”

No further information was provided about the case. The department said it didn’t have a spokesperson available Wednesday night.

Fresno County’s second coronavirus case, confirmed Saturday, and its first, confirmed March 7, were also travel-related cases.

Health officials said they are working to identify close contacts of those affected by the virus. Close contact is defined as being within approximately 6 feet of a person with COVID-19 for a “prolonged period of time,” described as more than 10 minutes.

Officials “will assess risks of exposure, determine which if any additional measures are needed such as temperature and symptom checks, quarantine and/or additional testing.”

News of the third Fresno County coronavirus case follows a “shelter in place” order by the City of Fresno earlier in the day.

Also Wednesday, Tulare County to the south announced its fifth coronavirus case – the first that county has described as “person-to-person” spread.

Tulare County health officials said California now has 598 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that as of Wednesday, there are more than 7,000 coronavirus cases in the U.S. that have resulted in nearly 100 deaths.

More information about coronavirus, COVID-19

Fresno County health officials recommend the following to prevent the spread of the COVID-19, influenza and other respiratory viruses:

Wash your hands

Avoid touching your face

Stay at home if you are sick

Cover coughs and sneezes with your elbow

“The Fresno County Department of Public Health continues to monitor previous cases,” Interim Health Officer Dr. Rais Vohra said. “These patients have been cooperative in these efforts and protocol is being followed to help ensure that our community and its residents are safe.”

The department said it will update coronavirus cases daily on its website, fcdph.org/covid19.

This story was originally published March 18, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in California

Related Stories from Fresno Bee
Carmen Kohlruss
The Fresno Bee
Carmen Kohlruss is a features and news reporter for The Fresno Bee. Her stories have been recognized with Best of the West and McClatchy President’s awards, and many top awards from the California News Publishers Association. She has a passion for sharing people’s stories to highlight issues and promote greater understanding. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER