California

Former legislative leader Toni Atkins drops out of California governor’s race

Toni Atkins is ending her campaign for California governor, the former state senate leader announced Monday afternoon.

“(I)t’s with such a heavy heart that I’m stepping aside today as a candidate for governor,” Atkins wrote in a letter to supporters. “Despite the strong support we’ve received and all we’ve achieved, there is simply no viable path forward to victory. Though my campaign is ending, I will keep fighting for California’s future.”

Atkins did not endorse another candidate but said “we’ve got to make sure California has a Democratic governor leading the fight, and that means uniting as Democrats.”

The former lawmaker and San Diego city councilmember launched her campaign in early 2024. She is the second Democratic candidate to withdraw from the crowded field to replace term-limited Gov. Gavin Newsom since former Vice President Kamala Harris announced she would not run for the seat. Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis dropped out of the race in early August, opting instead to run for state treasurer.

Atkins was the first woman and first out LGBTQ person to hold the top leadership position in each legislative chamber. She served as Assembly Speaker from 2014 to 2016 and as Senate President pro Tempore from 2018 until 2024.

Toni Atkins, former Senate President pro Tem, speaks during a California Chamber of Commerce panel discussion with candidates for California Governor at SAFE Credit Union Convention Center on June 4.
Toni Atkins, former Senate President pro Tem, speaks during a California Chamber of Commerce panel discussion with candidates for California Governor at SAFE Credit Union Convention Center on June 4. PAUL KITAGAKI JR. pkitagaki@sacbee.com

She authored several housing-related bills in the Legislature and, like most other candidates, said she would make California’s high cost of living her top priority.

While Atkins had a sizeable campaign war chest of $4.2 million, her fundraising was lackluster during the first half of the year. Between January and the end of June, she raised less than $650,000 – more than Democratic candidates like former state Controller Betty Yee and State Supt. of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond, who respectively pulled in $237,000 and $70,000.

But it was far behind the seven-figure sums other Democrats pulled in. Former Rep. Katie Porter raised $3 million between her March campaign launch and July. Former HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra raised $2.4 million and former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa brought in $1.1 million.

Republicans Chad Bianco, the sheriff of Riverside County, and former Fox News host Steve Hilton are also running for governor, as is former Assemblymember Ian Calderon, who announced his campaign last week.

This story was originally published September 29, 2025 at 2:32 PM with the headline "Former legislative leader Toni Atkins drops out of California governor’s race."

Related Stories from Fresno Bee
NN
Nicole Nixon
The Sacramento Bee
Nicole Nixon is a former reporter for The Sacramento Bee.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER