If you thought you missed out on Elberta peach season, don’t worry there are still some left. But don’t delay, because these old-time peaches are going fast.
The Elberta is a classic peach variety, known for its fuzzy skin, fine texture, juicy taste and sweet aroma. Elbertas have a relatively short season and this year, harvesting began about 10 days early. Some farmers are done picking while others have fruit for at least one more week.
“Elbertas are one of those peaches that lots of people want, but the season is so short,” said Donna Knowles of Fowler.
Elberta peaches are great for eating fresh, canning and freezing.
To buy Elberta peaches and its related varieties, Fay Elberta and Fayette peaches, try these farmstands and stores:
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Location: 1959 N. Willow Ave., Clovis
- More information: 559-298-8290.
- Hours: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- Location: 7175 S. Peach Ave., Fowler. The Knowles do not have a fruit stand, so farmers Bill and Donna Knowles recommend customers call and order peaches in advance, then pick them up at the ranch.
- More info: 559-834-3666 or 284-1660.
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Location: 7443 N. Millbrook Ave., Fresno. Home is two houses south of Alluvial Avenue. Please call in advance to check on peach availability.
- More info: 559-439-0104.
PK Fruit Farms
- Location: 16070 E. Lincoln, Parlier. Please call in advance to check on peach availability.
- More info: pkfruitfarms.com or 559-287-1441.
- Location: 6319 S. Alta Ave., Reedley. Contact farmer Rob Mizuno to order in advance and pick up at the farm.
- More info: 559-289-0108.
Steve Lubisich’s farmstand
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, Sundays by appointment only. His stand is behind a home on Nees Avenue, just west of Willow Avenue. Look for the sign that says “Peaches” then turn into the driveway.
- Location: Nees Avenue, just west of Willow Avenue.
- More info: 559-217-2001.
Wawona Orchards, The Peach Tree fruit stand
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays.
- Location: Minnewawa Avenue, just north of Nees Avenue.
- More info: Call to check for availability, 559-299-2901.