Friday is National Popcorn Day and several Fresno-area businesses are giving away free and half-price stuff.
Grandpa’s Popcorn and Sweets, 673 E Nees Ave, Fresno, is celebrating with a free snack-sized bag of their new “top secret seasonal flavor.” The event is from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. while supplies last.
Regal Entertainment Group is offering half-price on popcorn at its movie theaters Friday.
And to help you show off your knowledge of all things popcorn, here are few fun facts, thanks to www.popcorn.org.
- There are four main types of corn, sweet, field, flint and popcorn. And only the popcorn type pops.
- The reason popcorn pops is because it has a thick hull, allowing pressure from the heated moisture inside the kernel to build and eventually burst open.
- How high can a popcorn kernel pop? It can leap up to three feet.
- If you don’t add all that yummy melted butter or caramel, popcorn is low in calories. Air-popped popcorn has only 30 calories per cup.
- And what is the No. 1 use of a microwave ovens? You guessed it, popcorn.