The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Sweetbitter,” by Stephanie Danler.
▪ “Me Before You,” by Jojo Moyes.
▪ “After You,” by Jojo Moyes.
▪ “The Girls: A Novel,” by Emma Cline.
▪ “Here’s to Us: A Novel,” by Elin Hilderbrand.
▪ “The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu and Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts,” by Joshua Hammer. The story of how a determined group stopped an unthinkable act of cultural desecration in the middle of the Sahara Desert.
▪ “But You Scared Me the Most: And Other Short Stories,” by John Manderino. Contemporary fiction meets classic horror in this often-twisted collection of tales.
▪ “Her One and Only: A Novel,” by Becky Wade. Football star Gray Fowler doesn’t understand how a woman half his size can protect him against a stalker. But ex-Marine Dru Porter is prepared to surprise him about that – and a few other things as well.
▪ “The Outsider: A Memoir,” by Jimmy Connors. One of America’s biggest all-time tennis stars talks about his many victories on the court, and his less-well- known successes over gambling, dyslexia and other personal problems.
▪ “40 Love,” by Madeleine Wickham. A weekend tennis outing between two couples becomes a struggle for competition far outside the realm of sport.
▪ “Black and White: The Way I See It,” by Richard Williams, with Bart Davis. The father of tennis champions Serena and Venus explains what fueled his daughters’ immense success – and also gives a number of valuable training tips.
▪ Evo Bluestein: Enjoy his multi-instrumental, traditional folk music and dance numbers. 2-3 p.m., Sunday, June 26, at the Fig Garden Regional Library. Details: 559-600-4071.
▪ At the Library With Friends – Scats on the Sly: Join us for a musical evening of swing string, classic pop and jazz standards. All are welcome, but seating is limited. Light refreshments will be served. Sponsored by Friends of the Sanger Library. 6:30-7:45 p.m., Monday, June 27, at the Sanger Branch Library. Details: 559-875-2435.
▪ Harry Potter Trivia Night: Attention Wizards and Muggles! Test your knowledge on all things Harry Potter! Come with a team, or find one at the event and make new friends! 7-8:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 29, at the at the Woodward Park Regional Library. Details: 559-600-3135.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.