Living

U.S. Issues 'Do Not Travel' Warning Amid Deadly Ebola Outbreak

Amidst a growing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo that has killed at least 80 people, the United States has issued a travel warning designed to keep Americans safe from the deadly disease.

As global health authorities look to contain the outbreak, the United States has issued a "do not travel" warning for the country due to a "Public Health Emergency of International Concern."

What is Ebola?

Ebola was first identified in 1976 in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo. Since then, it has repeatedly resurfaced across sub-Saharan Africa, with the worst outbreak on record hitting West Africa between 2014 and 2016, totaling more than 28,600 cases.

The deadly virus kills about half of those it infects on average, with fatality rates ranging from 25% to 90% depending on the outbreak and the strain. The virus moves quickly, causing bleeding, multi-organ failure, and shock, with death often occurring within two weeks.

Ebola Outbreak in the Congo

Public health officials have confirmed a growing Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo that has killed at least 80 people.

Lab testing has confirmed the outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which is a variant less common in the Congo and one for which existing vaccines and treatments are less effective.

Congolese Health Minister Samuel‑Roger Kamba said on Friday that while only eight cases have been laboratory‑confirmed so far, including four deaths, the overall total of both cases and deaths is drastically higher because many cases are identified late or go untested.

As of Friday, the Africa CDC reported approximately 246 suspected cases, but that number could continue to grow.

"These figures remain provisional and are being validated through laboratory confirmation, line-list harmonization, contact identification and epidemiological investigation," health officials said in Friday's press release via Newsweek.

U.S. Issues 'Do Not Travel' Warning

As a result of this outbreak, the United States Department of State has issued a serious Level 4 "do not travel" warning for the country, especially for the Ituri province, advising Americans not to travel to the province "for any reason."

"The Travel Advisory for the DRC lists Ituri Province as a Level 4 (Do Not Travel) area of increased risk. The U.S. government is extremely limited in its ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Ituri province. Do not travel to this area for any reason," the advisory reads.

The advisory warns Americans to avoid all non‑essential movement near the Congo–Uganda border. Travelers returning from those areas are told to monitor their health for 21 days upon returning and alert a healthcare provider before seeking care if symptoms appear.

This story was originally published by Men's Journal on May 18, 2026, where it first appeared in the News section. Add Men's Journal as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

2026 The Arena Group Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

This story was originally published May 18, 2026 at 8:46 AM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER