There’s a disco fundraiser at Fulton 55 on Saturday night and you’ll want to go VIP.
The extra ticket price gets a limo tour down Fulton Street, an Andy Warhol-style portrait that’ll be projected throughout the club all night and early access to the event.
This is all about music (from DJ Mr. Leonard) and dancing (‘Do the hustle”), and VIP tickets include dance instruction.
Plus, there’s no waiting at the velvet ropes.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
“They’re going to have two hours to mingle and be fabulous and be famous,” says Arturo Mendoza, president of Arne Nixon Center Advocates, which is hosting the event as part of a community mural project. This is the third in a series of events
All money will go to the project, which is based in part on “Maybe Something Beautiful,” a somewhat true children’s story from illustrator and muralist Rafael López.
It’s art imitating life, imitating art. The book follows the creation of a mural and the subsequent transformation that art spurs in its community. That’s what the project organizers are hoping will happen when the mural goes up in southeast Fresno in May.
“We will facilitate the community coming together,” Mendoza says.
Studio 54 Fulton 55
A disco fundraiser
Six others noteworthy events this week
- Marshall Gilkes Trio, 8 p.m. Saturday. Paul Shaghoian Concert Hall, 2770 E. International. $10-$15. sjvjazz.org
- Word Fest 2019 reading, 7 p.m. Saturday. Alice Peters Auditorium, Fresno State. Free. Search event on Facebook
- Ailey II, 5 p.m. Sunday. Tower Theatre, 815 E. Olive Ave. $30-$65. 559-485-9050, www.tower theatrefresno.com
- Shelina Merani, a comedy fundraiser, 5 p.m. Saturday. Islamic Cultural Center of Fresno, 2111 E. Nees Ave. $10-$30. 559-297-9535, www.eventbrite.com
- Fresno Philharmonic, To Brahms with Love, 3 p.m. Sunday. Saroyan Theatre, 730 M St. $25-$79. 559-261-0600, www.fresnophil.org
- Waxahatchee, 8 p.m. Feb. 28. The Cellar Door 101 W. Main St., Visalia. $12-$15. snvfoundation.org