Jim Breuer is working on a new bit.
It’s a jumbotron game called “Lars or Jim?” that asks the audience to determine whether a clip is actually Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich or Breuer’s impression of him.
It’s totally playing to the crowd.
Breuer is opening for Metallica’s WorldWired tour, which stops Sunday at the Save Mart Center.
Here, Breuer serves as “the emcee host for the night’s Metallica party,” he says, on the phone from Portland, Ore., where the tour stopped on Wednesday night.
“If I didn’t know the band, I would probably just be trying to do comedy and prove myself.”
But he does know the band. He hosted Metallica’s 30th anniversary celebration at the Fillmore Theater in San Francisco 2011.
Much of what he does on this tour isn’t comedy. Sure, he fits the jokes in when he can, but he also tell stories – how he met the band – and plays games with the crowd.
Hence, the “Lars or Jim?” bit.
“I know everyone in that audience,” Breuer says, and he might be as big a Metallica fan as anyone in the room.
“The first time I saw them was in 1986, opening for Ozzy Osbourne, and then it was Monsters of Rock and then there was ... I’ve seen them every single tour,” he says. Which means you will see him headbanging back stage and maybe in the mosh pit with the fans.
First, Fulton 55
The Metallica show is actually Breuer’s second gig in Fresno for the weekend. Breuer travels with the tour’s crew, which will be in town on Saturday setting up production for the show. That evening he will do a special performance at Fulton 55.
He isn’t quite sure what to expect from that show, which doubles as a birthday party for promoter Art Silva. It won’t be the typical stand-up comedy performance, either, he says. Mostly he’s going to show up and “give them 45 minutes of hell.”
“I’m excited about it. I love nights like this.”
Strummer’s, too – Joe Sib, the other comedian opening for Metallica on this tour, will perform at Strummer’s on Saturday.
- Comedy stories and more. 7 p.m. Saturday. Fulton 55, 875 E. Divisadero Ave. $30-$35. 559-412-7400, www.fulton55.com
- Opening for Metallica. 7:30 p.m. Sunday. Save Mart Center. $150-$645 via ticketmaster verified resale. 800-745-3000, www.ticketmaster.com
Here are six other events happening around town.
- Mac Miller tribute. 9 p.m. Friday. Strummer’s, 833 E. Fern Ave. Free. 559-485-5356, www.strummersclub.com
- “Elf Jr.” 7:30 p.m. Friday, 2 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Also Dec.14-16. Veterans Memorial Auditorium, 2425 Fresno St.. $14-$22. 559-442-3140, www.cmtworks.org
- Hella Ninja. 3 p.m. Saturday. Tioga Sequoia, 745 Fulton St. Free. Search event on Facebook.
- Trapfest. 8 p.m. Saturday. Rainbow Ballroom, 1725 Broadway St. $25. www.eventbrite.com
- Star Wars pub crawl. 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Meet at parking lot at 264 N. Wishon Ave. $5 wristband. Search event on Facebook.
- Ha Ha Ho, Comedy Show, with Josh Arnold, Bob Zany and Henry Phillips. Tower Theatre, 815 E. Olive Ave. $29-$39. 559-485-9050, www.towertheatrefresno.com