The Fresno Fuego rolled to their third win in a row under interim head coach Brian Zwaschka, toppling defending division champ Burlingame 2-1 in a Premier Development League match at Chukchansi Park.
Fresno native and breakout forward Christian Chaney scored twice in the club’s first-ever win against the Dragons.
The Fuego found the net in the ninth minute before Sergi Nus pushed the ball across midfield to start the play that opened the scoring. Nus passed forward to Milton Blanco, who turned and passed it to Alvaro Nogales above the penalty area, who gave a one-touch pass to Chaney in-stride, who then slotted it home first-touch across the goalie.
The Dragons (2-3-1) nearly equalized in the second half, but their goal in the 60th minute was ruled offside.
Never miss a local story.
Looking to stretch their lead, the Fuego got an opportunity as substitute midfielder Peter Pearson was taken down in the penalty area by Dragons’ goalie Larry Jackson to draw the penalty in the 77th. Chaney scored the penalty, increasing his season total to seven.
It was a physical second half that saw four yellow cards handed out. Burlingame got on the board in the 90th on a goal by Brian Nana-Sinkam before stoppage time expired.
The Fuego (3-2-0) move into a tie for third with the Las Vegas Mobsters with eight points.
Fresno continues its PDL season on the road, visiting the Southern California Seahorses (0-2-2) on Saturday at La Mirada High School. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Freeze extend win streak – Anessa Aragon scored two goals in the first half and added an assist in the second to lead the Fresno Freeze to their fourth win in a row, defeating the visiting West Coast Wildcatz 5-2 in a Women’s Premier Soccer League match on Thursday.
PREMIER DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE
CENTRAL PACIFIC DIVISION
Fresno Fuego 2, Burlingame FC 1
- First half: 1, F, Christian Chaney (Alvaro Nogales), 9th minute.
- Second half: 2, F, Chaney (PK), 77th. 3, B, Brian Nana-Sinkam, 90th.
- Shots: Fresno 6, Burlingame 2. Fouls: Fresno 15, Burlingame 9. Corner kicks: Burlingame 4, Fresno 2. Yellow cards: Fresno 5 (Tony Torres-40th, Milton Blanco-67th, Peter Pearson-69th, Chaney-77th, Joey Chica-88th) Burlingame 2 (Jose Mendoza-64th, Larry Jackson-76th).
- Records: Fresno 3-2-0, Burlingame 2-3-1.
WOMEN’S PREMIER SOCCER LEAGUE
Fresno Freeze 5, West Coast Wildcatz 2
- First half: 1, F, Anessa Aragon (Nikki Schrey) 1st minute. 2, W, Sydni Lunt (Adaurie Dayak) 19th. 3, F, Mari Cruz Chapa (Vanessa Penuna) 30th. 4, W, Kayla Gersham, 45th. 5, F, Aragon (Lydia Tarasevic), 45th.
- Second half: 6, F, Micaela Castain (Aragon), 47th. 7, F, Chapa (Schrey), 79th.
- Shots: Fresno 8, West Coast 4. Saves: Fresno 8, West Coast 2.
- Records: Freeze 4-0-0, Wildcatz 1-2-0.