The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
▪ All Fresno County Public Libraries will be closed Monday, Sept. 5, in observance of the Labor Day holiday.
▪ NEW – Tell us what you think about Bookshelf and library services! Fill out the brief survey at www.surveymonkey.com/r/KKRFSHN.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
Never miss a local story.
▪ “The Wrong Side of Goodbye: A Novel,” by Michael Connelly.
▪ “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Special Rehearsal Script,” by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne.
▪ “The Underground Railroad: A Novel,” by Colson Whitehead.
▪ “The Woman in Cabin 10,” by Ruth Ware.
▪ “Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis,” by J.D. Vance.
▪ “Wake Up America: The Nine Virtues that Made Our Nation Great – and Why We Need Them More than Ever,” by Eric Bolling. The Fox Business Network host offers his take.
▪ “Sting,” by Sandra Brown. Jordie Bennett’s brother stole $30 million in a crooked investment scheme, and she’s determined to find it.
▪ “A Great Reckoning,” by Louise Penny. A new novel by the Agatha Award-winning author.
50 Years of “Star Trek”
▪ “Where No Man Has Gone Before, Part 1,” by Mike Johnson, with art by Stephen Molnar. This is a re-imagining of the first “Star Trek” TV episode ever aired, based on the alternative chronology established by the 2009 franchise film reboot.
▪ “The Autobiography of James T. Kirk: The Story of Starfleet’s Greatest Captain,” by James T. Kirk, edited by David A. Goodman. The story of the Enterprise’s famed leader and his tumultuous times, in his own words, documents and sayings.
▪ “To Be Takei,” directed by Bill Weber and Jennifer M. Kroot. A DVD portrait of the man best known as Star Trek’s Mr. Sulu.
▪ Great Escape Game Night – Board, Card and Miniature Games for Adults: Learn to play various tabletop games, or bring your favorites! 6-9 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 6, at the Fig Garden Regional Library. Details: 559-600-4071.
▪ Yard Sale 101 with Art Mendoza: A seasoned professional will show how to make your next bargain bazaar a success. 11 a.m.-noon, Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Betty Rodriguez Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9245.
▪ Author Talk – Jessica Seymour: Hear her discuss “The Diary of a Broken Spirit: The Secrets of a Home,” and find out how she dealt with depression and loneliness. 1-3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Clovis Regional Library. Details: 559-600- 9531.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.