The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Rogue Lawyer,” by John Grisham.
▪ “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School,” by Jeff Kinney.
Never miss a local story.
▪ “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology,” by Leah Remini, with Rebecca Paley.
▪ “The Crossing: A Novel,” by Michael Connelly.
▪ “Tricky Twenty-Two: A Stephanie Plum Novel,” by Janet Evanovich.
▪ “Depraved Heart,” by Patricia Cornwell. Medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta deals with an accident that looks like murder, a troubled niece, and an old nemesis – and finds that the three are all linked in unexpected ways.
▪ “Carter & Lovecraft,” by Jonathan L. Howard. A bookstore in Providence, R.I., becomes the setting for some grisly deaths. Are they happening because the manager is the last living descendant of famed horror author H.P. Lovecraft?
▪ “Brave Enough,” by Cheryl Strayed. From the author of “Wild” comes this collection of quotations designed to encourage adventure, raise spirits and soothe souls.
60th Anniversary – Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott
▪ “The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks,” by Jeanne Theoharis. Following the boycott, Rosa Parks was a tireless seeker of social justice. This book is a full record of her involvement and shows how her international recognition grew during those years.
▪ “Rosa’s Bus,” by Jo Kittinger, and “Rosa Parks: Heroine of the Civil Rights Movement,” by Therese Shea. The inspiring civil rights story, told for younger readers.
▪ Friends of Auberry Library Holiday Book Sale: Just in time for gift giving, featuring books in “as new” condition! 2-7 p.m., Tuesday-Thursday, Dec. 1-3, at the Friends office, next door to the Auberry Branch Library. Details: 559-855-8523.
▪ Fowler Holiday Movie: Hot chocolate and cookies provided! 3-5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 2, at the Fowler Branch Library. Details: 559-600-9281.
▪ Friends of Gillis Library Holiday Book Sale: A don’t-miss sale, with thousands of items available for purchase. 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 3, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Friday-Saturday, Dec. 4-5, at the Gillis Branch Library. Details: 559-225-0140.
▪ Children’s Author Bilingual Storytime: Aracely De Alvarado will read from her book “Los Pinguinos” (The Penguins), and offer a song and craft lesson for children ages 3-8. Noon-1 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 5, at the Parlier Branch Library. Details: 559-646-3835.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600-6227 for details.