Isn't it tragic when one careless person causes a fire that displaces 19 people and burns up all their belongings [story Aug. 16]? That cigarette could have been left in a safe place like a sink, instead of a bed.
All the more reason we should have nonsmoking apartments and hotels. Fortunately, no one was killed, but that's not always the case. The smoker should be fined the amount it takes to replace all the belongings of the uninsured renters.
Of course, everyone should get renters' insurance. I hope this is a wake-up call for those who don't have it.
Joann K. Schilling
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.