Is Fresno ready for marijuana? Certainly ordinance codes need to be reviewed and placed in order. However, there are a number of other issues that need to be addressed in making such a wide-ranging decision on this topic. For example:
1. Is our police department ready with additional officers to deal with associated crime?
2. Is our jail ready to house those who will be involved in associated crime?
3. Are our emergency rooms ready to handle emergency health-related problems?
4. Are our school districts ready to handle learning-related problems and increased social conflict on our campuses?
5. Are our addiction counselors and therapists in the community ready to handle an increase in addiction-related problems?
And there are a number of other insurance and safety problems that need to be faced. Potentially, are we willing to allow our next generation to live with increased addiction and the loss of creativity and productivity to our community?
I urge all of us consider these issues very seriously before voting.
Allan G. Hedberg, Fresno