A strong low-pressure system brought unseasonably cool temperatures and rainfall to the Valley on Sunday, and more rain is on the way this week.
The low-pressure system from the Gulf of Alaska brought 0.23 of an inch of rain to Fresno as of 5 p.m., National Weather Service meteorologist Gary Sanger said.
The storm kept the Valley cool, Sanger said, with Fresno's daytime high reaching just 65 degrees Sunday, nearly 20 degrees below normal for this time of year.
Most of the rain fell in the late morning and afternoon, Sanger said. After 5 p.m. Sunday, only trace amounts were reported.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Fresno Bee
Most of the heavy rainfall was concentrated in the north Valley, where Merced received 0.43 inch of rain, Sanger said. Strong winds caused the storm to skirt by Lemoore, leaving only 0.03 inch of rain, he said.
Two funnel clouds were reported to the National Weather Service, meteorologist Cindy Bean said. The first was reported Sunday morning northeast of Clovis in the foothills; the other was reported in the afternoon east of Kerman.
The storm also dropped snow in the Sierra. Snowfall at Tenaya Lake was reported at 1.43 inches early Sunday morning, Bean said.
Today's high is expected to reach 69 degrees with mostly clear skies, Sanger said. But a new storm is expected to reach the Valley tonight.
A 60% chance of rain is forecast for Tuesday, tapering off to a 40% chance at night, Sanger said. Only light showers are forecast for Wednesday.
By Thursday, daytime temperatures should reach the mid-70s in Fresno, Sanger said.