Hey there. It’s Monday, Aug. 1, 2016. Thanks for checking out the inaugural Morning Scoop!
What You Need to Know
• The National Transportation Safety Board has released more information about what caused a hot air balloon carrying 16 people to crash to the ground.
• Firefighters still are battling the 1,800-acre Goose Fire near Prather and Tollhouse. Check out video from the scene while you think about what you’d take if you had to evacuate your home right now.
• There’s a 49-acre patch of unused land in southeast Fresno, and a lot of people have a lot of thoughts and feelings about what to do with it.
• Miss Teen USA has found out the hard way that the permanent record they warn you about in school is actually called “the internet.”
• A skydiver has successfully jumped out of a plane with no parachute and landed in a net, making our complaints about Mondays being difficult seem kind of silly.
What You Want to Know
• There are at least 10 genuinely amazing things to discover at the Mariposa Museum & History Center and – SPOILER ALERT – a mule named Jiggs is one of them.
• Fresno City College’s new president, Dr. Carole Goldsmith, has a favorite Fresno bar. Nope, not that one. It’s this one.
• California is responsible for a lot of the total wine production in the U.S. Like, a lot. Way more than you drink. I mean, think.
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• It’s summertime, and the living is easy. Unless you’re someone who breathes, then the living is very, very difficult right now.
• It’s also fire season, so everyone just try to be really careful and don’t do anything stupid. Okay? Cool.