It’s Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of fresh headlines and general good stuff. Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Did President Trump tell the widow of a Marine killed in Niger that her loved one “knew what he signed up for”? A congresswoman says yes. Trump says:
• A former Fresnan was a memorable “Jeopardy!” contestant even before Alex Trebek gave the first answer. Then the game began, and the result was absolutely bonkers.
• A fire Tuesday evening at a small shopping center in Clovis destroyed three storefronts and threatened a nearby apartment complex.
• The city of Fresno hired a lawyer to advise Councilman Garry Bredefeld after the city clerk, who is African-American, complained about his remarks ripping NFL athletes who protest during the national anthem.
• A man charged with brutally killing a relative’s poodle while family members watched pleading no contest in court Tuesday.
• An unconventional candidate with an unconventional worldview – how about a 12,000-member legislature? – brought his run for governor to Fresno. Our Tim Sheehan had questions.
Watch This Video
• Our strange, beautiful and terrifying animal world ...
Good Stuff to Know
• Free Dutch Bros. coffee and a flu shot. Sure, why not? We can think of worse combinations.
• A Fresno grandma turned $2 into $1.2 million with a California Lottery scratcher.
• How is a Fresno State football defense with largely the same young men from last season suddenly looking like the ‘85 Bears?
• Us: Starbucks couldn’t possibly top the audacity of the Unicorn Frappucccino. Starbucks: Hold my grande.
• As Halloween approaches, a warning to would-be creepy clowns: Don’t. Just ... don’t.
• When called on it in a Yelp review, a Long Beach restaurant admitted it outsources its chicken – from Popeyes.