It’s Friday, Oct. 6, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of fresh headlines and general good stuff. Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• The controversy about racially charged messages posted by Clovis Unified students continued to simmer at a public meeting Thursday night.
• Central and Buchanan, the Valley’s top two high school football teams, took it to the wire Thursday night. Reporter Bryant-Jon Anteola fills us in.
• Jessica Milam, the Sanger native and Disneyland employee injured in the Las Vegas shooting massacre, has been moved to intensive care in a Vegas hospital. Prayers up.
• About 300 long-haul truckers protested in front of Fresno City Hall over a new federal rule that replaces their old paper logbooks with electronic devices.
• At a hastily gathered photo op with military leaders and their families Thursday night, President Trump said the gathering might represent “the calm before the storm.” Wait, what?
• A SoCal man was in Las Vegas when, for the second time in two years, he got the same text message from his fiancee: “Active shooter.” Meanwhile, authorities say the Vegas gunman may have scoped out other music festivals.
• Remember a world – about, oh, four days ago – when we didn’t know what a bump stock was?
Watch This Video
• Cam Newton in apology video: “The joke is on me.” No argument here.
Good Stuff to Know
• Photographers are capturing a glowstick-like blue painting the waves at Morro Bay. Here’s what’s causing it.
• A Fresno County farmer on the cutting edge of replenishing precious groundwater was named Agriculturist of the Year. Here’s how he does it.
• “So What”? Pink is coming back to Fresno, that’s what.
• It’s a big, beautiful harvest moon all weekend. Gaze up and enjoy.
• A woman in the Netherlands was understandably freaked out when her newly purchased security camera began talking to her – in French.