It’s Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of fresh headlines and general good stuff. Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• Recent reports say cases of sexually transmitted disease are at record highs in California and the U.S. And people in Fresno County contribute more than their share.
• A teacher at Bullard High School was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of what Clovis police described as “ongoing sexual assaults” against a woman.
• Are there Band-Aids big enough to heal an aging, crumbling and (now) leaking Bulldog Stadium? Possibly, if Fresno State acts now, Marek Warszawski says.
• The former boyfriend of a Fresno woman found dead this month was armed with two guns and appeared “paranoid, furtive, nervous,” police say.
• A Visalia mom said she feared for her son’s safety after students labeled him a white supremacist when he wore a sweatshirt featuring the design of the Confederate flag.
• There’s a new locale for the Fresno County Republican Party fundraiser featuring Joe Arpaio, the controversial former Arizona sheriff.
Watch This Video
• There are countless reasons why county fairs remain awesome. Where else will you find something like this?
Good Stuff to Know
• Does your dog really love you? Or is it all just about the food? A neuroscientist has answers.
• Is “It” possible for people to confuse Ronald McDonald with Pennywise? Shouldn’t be. But ... yeah.
• Twitter has tapped a few users to test a doubling of its character limit, from 140 to 280. The immediate result? More room for snark:
• Snake, Pac-Man and other nifty games of yore are back, thanks to today’s Google Doodle.
• Sen. Peyton Manning? Imagine the chant at his campaign rallies: “OMAHA! OMAHA! OMAHA!” (He’d run in Tennessee, though.)